The story of development
AfterDark. is coming up with extreme version, a Cascade Trifecta Extreme Edition for audiophiles which is using the Mutec REF 10 or Giesesmann 10M Reference Master Clock.
The version will be modified and design to improve sounding with the highly rated network switch based on Buffalo BS-GS2016.
This "Cascade Trifecta Extreme Edition" will be the very first model in the world to build in two Buffalo GS-BS2016 while audiophiles can optimised with 10M Reference Master Clock.
The story behind the Cascade Trifecta Extreme Edition
We received some special requirement from France recently and looking for upgrade option on his switch. He is currently owned a Mutec SE120, 10M Master clock with multiple outputs of 10M signals. So, he would like to utlities his investment and looking for audiophile grade switch with 10M Master Clock in. He knows that Buffalo BS-GS2016 will be his first choices, but he just want a extra modification with 10M Master Clock Input Module. Would it be possible? he asked.
Customer: Would it be possible just to modify and add a 10M Master Clock function? he asked.
Adrian : Since you want to keep your existing 10M Master Clock to work with Buffalo BS-GS2016, we can look in to it.
Customer: If possible, please make a external 12V DC port, so I can use the Farad Super3 LPS, it will be great.
Adrian : This can be done, we can modify with some Audio Grade Capacitor to be place inside the original chassis, let us found the biggest possible capacitor from MIFLEX Poland. where it can placed inside the Bufallo GS-BS2016.
Customer: Let's give me some update when it is ready. Thanks.
Adrian : That would be great to have this product, since we have done this projects with Giesemann Clock Modules, we shall design the 10M Master Clock Input Modules from scretch, using the best component and make sure it is small enough to be placed in same chassis.
AfterDark. Development ideas:
- We have some ideas of the new board, a clock synethesis modules turns external 10M OCXO Clock signal into two 25Mhz Clock signal for one Buffalo or dual Buffalos, we shall make two outputs of 25Mhz, just to make sure it is future proof and provide more flexible to upgrades later on.
- The DC power module requires to be redesigned for new clock synethesis
- The placement of module will be re-designed and to be placed near the main board,
- The chassis require to modify and place extra DC port and BNC socket and accept external 10M Input
- A minististic design, which optimised peformance with choices of Giesemann OCXO 10Mhz Reference Master Clock and Giesemann LPS.
- There will be a EVO version, which is build in OCXO inside the Buffalo GS-BS2016 for some customers who needs all in one box solution.
Cascade of Buffalo GS-BS2016, which accepting external 10M Reference Master Clock, This version will be using the carbon fiber chassis and re-designed with the new the carbon fiber input blackplate.
His impression on Buffalo BS-GS2016 Cascade OCXO.
"I would prefer the 2016 than the S100 because of its richer presentations. Using one 2016 already gives you the same character but using two is definitely a revelation. Everything just seems to be present around you. The presence is much better with two 2016." by Hols
"There is an easiness in the sound and everything come up so sure so accurate and fluent. There is no hint of any slowness or muffled sound or harshness that are sometimes associated with over-cleansing. And can I take out the SOtM? Yes I can and still live very happily with the sound. There is only very slight diminished high frequency only noticeable on critical listening."
"Overall very impressed with the clock-modded 2016." by Hols
How we design a Cascade Trifecta Extreme Edition?
- Improve the outlook which make it more like a audiophile gear
- We love the ideas of 10M Master Clock Input function of Buffalo GS-BS2016
- The device should be powered externally with audiophile grade LPS
- The power section should be enhanced with more exotic audio capacitors
- The Giesemann 10M Intput Modules (GIM) will perform synthesizers 25Mhz independently. this clock signal will be optimised to Buffalo GS-BS2016
- The units will be powered by LPS externally.
- Two Buffalo BS-GS2016 will be installed and all modules should be fit into one single box
- The internal wire with optimised with Duelund Silver Cable, and solder with Audio Note
- The front and backplate will be using Carbon Fibe.
- All the Lan ports inside will be apply with KEMET Corp. EMI Shielding material for eliminate of EMI
- The use of SFP Single Mode Optical Fiber will give you another isolation to connect Cascade of Buffalo GS-BS2016
- External 10M Master Clock BNC socket to accept the extrnal 10M Master Clock signal for Cascade of Buffalo GS-BS2016
The Cascade Trifecta Extreme Edition can accept 10M Reference Master Clock signal for two Buffalo GS-BS2016 at the same time.
This MIFLEX Audio Capacitor we used is over sized at 44mm x 50mm and placed on DC power section. It take quite a long time to burn in. After run-in for 7 days, the soundstage open up and so much airly, the sounding is just more relax and rich representation when we compared with other switch.
The KEMET Aluminium Capacitor is another big plus to improve the micro details and darkness.
Miflex KPCU-01 Copper Foil Paper / Polypropylene in Oil
"Check out the new Miflex caps, the copper version are amazing. I've been replacing all of the coupling and/or output caps in all my amps from the Jupiter copper to the Miflex caps. IME the Miflex have better tonal density, more punch, more detail and present a blacker background. In almost every respect that I care about, the Miflex are a serious step up. "
Why Buffalo GS-BS2016 needs OCXO optimised?
We have same impression with member @Cool_Chris, the OCXO brings a very good sounding Buffalo GS-BS2016 to other levels.
"This clock simply adds something that is unreachable in normal switches. It is so calm, fluid and transparent that nothing compares to that. No wonder Jord is installing this clock in his best designs. In short it is mine best switch too and I can't imagine to listen without it."
New Giesemann OCXO Module developed for Buffalo GS-BS2016
The new designed of Giesemann Clock OCXO 10Mhz Clock Modules can synthesizers with external 10M Master Clock Signal. For example, two Buffalo motherboard required to receive two 25Mhz from a Giesemann 10M Master Clock. The latest development version of Giesemann OCXO Modules shall accept external 10M Signal, and provide flexible upgrades vs performance.
Customer review and Software tuning with Cascade of Buffalo BS-GS2016?
"The Buffalo GS-BS2016 will be able to enhance music with more organic and realistic textures, much wider soundstage and revolving dynamics with quality of bass, the details of the entire range will be further improve with AfterDark. Giesemann 10M Input Modules"
Why Buffalo BS-GS2016?
What is so special about this switch? We are selling DELA S100 Switch and modified version. Just looking at the two motherboard, DELA S100 is using the same motherboard as Buffalo BS-GS2016. This make us quite curiosity on how to improve Buffalo BS-GS2016. So, we purchase two unit from Japan market and see how Buffalo BS-GS2016 compared with DELA S100 (Estimate Price USD1600). So, let us open the metal box and have a look.
The clock is placed near the Broadcom CPU. The Giesemann Clock Input Module will be bypass the old clock with external Reference Clock 10M.
The inside of Buffalo BS-GS2016
The first listening impression on Buffalo GS-BS2016:
- This switch is the most natural sounding switch, there is nothing more on the cleaning on signal, so there is warm, and rich representation. Music flow is smooth as silk, treble is lush and fill up the listening areas with a lot details and decay.
- When we compare to DELA S100, sound is more polite, when compared to Buffalo GS-BS2016. On the other hands, Buffalo is on the real performer, the music is real and right at the right places.
- The Giesemann OCXO start to open up and perform after 3 hours and soundstage is much wider and mid range is so sweet, this may happened because the capacitor inside started to burn in.
- After 24 hours powers on, playing music via ROON, my first impression is sounding become so fluid and transparent, the characteristics which other switch do not have. The noise floor is so low, so the micro details can fill the listening areas easily. In addition, we found the bass is more authority, punchy and control.
- The Cascade of Buffalo GS-BS2016 can amplify the improvement with wider soundstage, this may due to re-clocking of the switches, which makes it happened.
Some reviews from audiophile:
"The SR7 and Buffalo are still running in - however there is an obvious improvement in the quality of the sound produced already. The flow of music seems more liquid, greater sense of space particularly on live recordings and the dynamic range appears to be extended." by dctom
"But the true game changer in my system was the addition of Pink Faun Ultra clocks to the Buffalo 2016Lets call it PFU Buffalo. Nenon was the first to try to use this clock in Buffalo 2016 switch and he really likes it.He was stacking them for better results upto 6 of them. Austinpop (Rajiv) was tesing this switch (PFU Buffalo borrowed fron Nenon) extensively and it was a clear winner in his precise testing Against the other switches he had including Sotm . Additionally Nenon retested PFU Buffalo against the Telegartner M12 and he would still prefer the PFU Buffalo (60%) than Telegartner M12(40%).That is a very good news ." by KRIS